Thursday, December 30, 2010

Vitamin D

The last of my tests came back and besides iron, it seems my Vitamin D is very low as well.  The Vitamin D2 is in the extremely severe range and the Vitamin D3 is in the mild to moderate severe range.  With it being the winter months here in Wisconsin, I get outside as much as I can, but not everyday is full of that beautiful round ball of heat in the sky. 

Vitamin D is very important for your body because its role is to help your body use the calcium and phosphorus from your food. It also regulates normal cellular differentiation thus preventing cancer and helps insulin secretion. Deficiency of this vitamin is connected to rickets.  This is a disease which affects your bones in way they don’t form properly because the calcium cannot be incorporated into them.  So your bones lack minerals and that makes them fragile. This can cause serious skeletal deformities.

Right now, I am just taking a Vitamin D supplement and hope this helps over the winter months.  I plan on putting them on hold over the summer when I am outside enjoying the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment