Sunday, April 24, 2011

Game on, Mr. D.M., Game on

Ok, I just read an article that freaked me out about being in my mid-thirties and the big differences of women working out in their 20's, 30's and 40's.  Yes, I admit, I looked pretty damn fit right before I got pregnant with my first son in my late 20's and worked hard to get back in shape when I found out I was pregnant with my second son.  But, after reading this article it made me upset and scared on what to expect in the next years to come once I hit my 40's.  I know quite a few people in their 40's and I must say they do not look decayed at all (have to read the article to see what I am talking about).

So, this got me thinking, how can I prove that being in your 30's is not a downward spiral once you hit the next decade and so forth.  Trying to figure out how to get some motivation back into my groove, this article helped step up my game as did a recent karate class I took my son to.

There is a karate instructor that is in his 20's, he is tall and skinny.  Probably eats anything and everything without worry, but he is all muscle.  When anyone has a birthday in karate, they do push-ups while singing happy birthday and this instructor who I will call, Mr. D.M., was sort of showing off his triceps push-up skills on one foot.  Then it hit me, why can't I do that, just because I am in my mid-thirties who says I can't be just as good or better doing that.  Why should age really matter.

I stumbled upon another blogger, A Spirited Mind, about how one person is better at something than others and it all boils down to owning it.  If you want it, you have to own it to make it happen.  Since I enjoy working out and the way it makes me feel, I should easily be able to do any workout activity as long as I own it to enjoy it.  With that being said, I want to own the moment of being able to do what those 20 year olds do, male or female, and prove that I can do it because I own it.

Now I am challenging myself to do push-ups like a 20 year old, just like Mr. D.M.  Quick, fast, with easy and showing off the form.  Sure hope Mr. D.M. doesn't read this because it will certainly take me time to get close to his level of push-ups, but hopefully by next year I will have my pre-baby body back and fitter than ever.  To end this, I say, game on, Mr. D.M., game on!   


3 comments:

  1. Yikes...I just turned 41 in March. I don't like being called old...lol I've really been lacking in my exercise and am trying so hard to get motivated. I just can't seem to get with it though. This has motivated me though! Thanks for this post. I am going to get myself some goals and start making plans to meet them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, 41 is far from being old!!! So glad this helps motivate you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a "push-up challenge" of sorts at the moment.... so this video is so helpful! I'm trying to step away from the girl pushup. We are going to have some toned arms by summer time!

    ReplyDelete